Bar soaps….they have been around for what literally seems like forever right?
There are so many bar soaps out in the world!
From the brand names to the generics and including the natural bars…and they all have one thing in common…
- They are all adding a lot of grime to your showers and baths. Ever notice that thick usually whitish film all over everything?
- The soap scum that builds up all over the shower and bath will start to smell foul and sour if it is not scrubbed off.
- If you use bar soaps, you might notice that your “soap scum” is ridiculous to try to clean.
- Did you ever notice how dry and tight your skin can feel after using most bar soaps? Bar soap is notorious for making your skin dry.
- Bacteria thrives on bar soap because the bathroom is a moist environment.
- Another bacteria blunder is that multiple people typically touch and use the same bar of soap.
- It tends leaves soapy remnants of where the soap typically sits. That means if you have the soap sitting on a shower shelf you have that soap slime ring waiting to be scrubbed off. Overall just plain messy.
- I have heard many times that the bar soap has a higher PH level than liquid soaps. I believe this would vary from brand to brand…but how much…this has been yet to be revealed.
- Slips and slides…out of your hands and around the tub if you are not careful!
- Bar soap will increase your budget. Sure the soap itself may be cheaper but it is going to cost more in cleaning products for tackling the clean up it creates. Also it will take more time out of your life to tackle this extra clean up.
I was inspired to write this post because lately I have been trying to be more frugal than ever with saving money. As we all know bar soap tends to be cheaper any which way you spin it. (Although this makes me think as I write this maybe homemade soap is cheaper than that?) Any-who, for the longest time I have used liquid body soap. My skin was not dry, smelled great, and I WAS NOT SCRUBBING MY BATHTUB FOR HOURS ON END! I loved it. However there I was trying to nickel and dime myself to make more room in the budget.
What I learned was the bar soap that I switched to ended up costing me more money in the long run. Sure it was cheaper to buy at first but:
- I had to use lotion to keep my skin from feeling like a rubber band.
- I cleaned my bathtub and shower 3X as much (one thing that I do not like is a dirty shower and tub, so that tends to be something I always keep on top of). I wasted precious time I could have been doing something else.
- Since I was cleaning the shower and tub more often, that means that I was naturally using more cleaner than previously. I also noticed I had to use A LOT more cleaning product to get the grime to come off.
The best alternative? I use liquid body soap. I switched back to liquid soap and I will not be going back to bar soap. My shower and bath is cleaner, and I am saving money in the long run. ( I also coupon and that always helps!) There is a huge variety of natural/organic liquid soaps on the market now which is a big plus.
Sometimes we have good intentions of saving money, we end up learning a lesson instead. While accidentally spending more money in the long run.
Tell me what type of soap you use!
How does it work for you?
I would love to hear if anyone has any methods or brands that really are worth our hard earned dollars!
Thanks for visiting! Glad to have you here!
Check out my other related blog post and take some of your precious time back!
See this post at a HUGE NO RULES BLOG PARTY – to visit
Great lifestyle tips don't have to end here...
Sign up and get more lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox for free.
- First access to all new materials before anyone else
- Exclusive discounts for email subscribers ONLY
- Rare behind the scenes view of myself & the blog
Lastly, you will be able to email me at anytime - to ask questions and get my exclusive help - for free!
This isn't just another email list. This is a real friendship - with someone that is willing to be there for you 100% of the way.